January 8, 2013

Schneider Orientation Surprise!

     Well I came to Green Bay, Wisconsin to the Schneider orientation camp hoping to start my trucking career here. I arrived Monday the 7th with high expectations. They put us up at a very nice hotel. I really wasn't sure what to expect beforehand. I guess I was expecting some roach infested hotel but that was not the case. Very clean place, nice comfortable beds and a swimming pool. They have a free breakfast bar in the morning. After breakfast the bus arrived at 6:30 am.
     

     We arrived at Schneider camp around 7:00 am from the hotel. As we arrived they took us to class where the instructor talked to our group about what is in store for us, fill out paperwork and do the required physical. Little did I know I would be in store for a very BIG disappointing surprise.
    

     First off from all the stress of taking this big challenge and leaving the family behind, my blood pressure was a little high. You know I not young, I'm 57 yrs old but I think I'm in decent health. For God's sake I got my DOT card. But anyway they have you do a series of physical activities like stepping onto a platform up and down 10 times and checking your heart rate for each activity. They have a set heart rate number that corresponds to your age. I'm 57 so mine was 147. Everything was going well and I was staying at around 130. Then I got to this one activity where I lift a small crate with first 25 lbs set it down and pick it up 3 times then set on the table. Then they add 10 lbs and you do it 3 more times. Well my heart rate when up to 150. They said that since my heart rate went over the 147 I could not work for Schneider and was immediately sent home, no second try or nothing. Although I failed I could retry in 7-days.  
     

     You know you would think they would do this type of physical before you come here so you don't quit your job only to find out you have to return home with your tail between your legs. After all they have you do your drug and hair follicle screen in your home city. Well if you are considering Schneider or any other company like Werner or Swift this is something you think about and find out the answers to. I know it is not Schneider's fault they need to protect themselves. You think you may feel healthy but you never know. I now wish I had given more thought and had a physical done beforehand. My recruiter called me and said I would be invited back if I correct the problem, so I scheduled a doctors appointment and hopefully I will try again. Will keep you informed of my status. 

No comments:

Post a Comment